Tuesday 12 October 2010

First impressions...

I always thought people were joking when they said that St Andrews was like a bubble. I've been seemingly unable to keep up with national/international news and the people here are all in a complete league of their own. Not only do we have the 'Kate Kennedy Club' a slightly elitist club for gentlemen only, but men frequently walk round in their tweed jackets, chinos and loafers. The current favourite coloured trouser being a bright salmon pink- especially popular with the yacht club.
My particular favourite outfit to date was of a bunch of guys outside the Science buildings. Of the six there one guy a bleached blonde- waxed side parting, white skinny jeans and a Breton top and another with brushed out brown hair, aviators, simple blue striped button down and beige cords. Though obvious extremes they both seemed to convey a certain Britishness to their style.
It's a great place for people watching. Particularly art history- a girl in front of me today was wearing a Burberry trench coat, complete with Uggs, Chanel glasses and Ralph Lauren bag. So many people have prejudices towards these kind of people, but I have to say they hold a fascination for me.
With a high percentage of foreign students the Americans insist on still wearing micro-denim shorts with no tights whilst natives to the British Isles pile on the cashmere and sheepskin.
I dwell between short shorts, tights, my usual clumpy brown boots and a cardigan of some description.
So life is good. Sadly no photos until I find someone who is willing to let me steal their camera...

BK

No comments:

Post a Comment